Goodyear Launches Efficientgrip Suv: Goodyear’s Quietest Suv Tyre Ever
17 September 2012 - Drivers receive reduced noise, shorter breaking distances and a lower rolling resistance with breakthrough Goodyear SUV tyre.
Building on the technology from its successful and award-winning tyre for luxury passenger cars, the Eagle EfficientGrip, Goodyear has broken new ground again with the introduction of Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV - Goodyear's quietest SUV tyre ever.
Strong and robust, Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV is engineered with QuietTred Technology to provide an exceptionally quiet ride without compromising grip and handling capabilities.
"People who own SUVs are mostly driven by the need to feel "in control" and safe," Goodyear spokesperson, Blake Vincent said.. "Many SUV owners today, who mainly drive in urban settings, know what it takes to truly enjoy their vehicle - they want the driving comfort of a sedan in an SUV."
"Now, SUV drivers can discover an exceptionally quiet and comfortable drive like never before with the Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV. The EfficientGrip SUV tyres are proof of Goodyear's continued commitment to increase the value of our brand and products with innovation driven directly from the feedback from our consumers, ensuring that we deliver on the core needs of drivers of SUVs."
Control the noise
Based on instrumented interior noise tests conducted by Goodyear Innovation Centre in Luxembourg under coast down conditions on smooth roads, Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV outperforms its predecessor in both noise and driving comfort¹. Even when worn, the Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV tyre is as quiet as a brand new tyre of its predecessor.
QuietTred Technology is a combination of a noise-dampening tread design and a shock absorbing carcass. To help dampen the noise:
- A closed shoulder design prevents radiating radial noise sound waves to reduce exterior and interior perceived noise levels.
- An increased number of pitches optimises block characteristics to reduce noise harmonics.
- And, a rib type design provides smooth tread geometry entering into the footprint to lower the impact and radiated noise.
In addition, Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV's shock-absorbing carcass features a high steel belt angle construction that allows for more structural flexibility to reduce vibrations from road impact. All these work together to create an exceptionally quiet and comfortable ride in an SUV.
Command the road
Based on independent braking tests conducted by TUV SUD on various road surfaces, Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV proved to have a 6% shorter braking distance on wet roads than the average of three leading competitor tyres, with a 5% shorter braking distance on dry roads². This has also been achieved with a 10% reduction in the tyre's rolling resistance over its predecessor by implementing Goodyear's FuelSaving Technology³.
In addition to giving SUV drivers a long lasting quiet drive, Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV delivers superior grip for added safety via:
- A high number of biting edges with equally high blade density to significantly improve grip and control in all driving conditions.
- The optimized contact patch, providing matched pressure distribution in key areas of the footprint allowing the tread pattern to work more effectively for better grip and safer cornering.
The EfficientGrip SUV tyre has already received strong endorsements from vehicle manufacturers, being selected as the Original Equipment fitment for the Land Rover Evoque, with additional approvals in progress for the industry's latest "iconic" platforms.
Goodyear's premier tyre in the luxury and mid passenger vehicle segment, Eagle EfficientGrip has already earned praise and distinctions from various automotive publications since its launch in 2010:
- Motor Trend Magazine, China: "Comfort Tyre of the Year"
- Auto Magazine, China: "Highly Recommended Tyre Product"
- Auto News, China: "Quietest Passenger Tyre of the Year"
- China Automotive News, China: "Comfort Tyre of the Year"
- Xcar.com, China: "Comfort Tyre of the Year"
- Fleet News, UK: "Environmental Award"
- GreenWorks, Luxemburg: "Green Innovation Award"
EfficientGrip SUV allows for comfortable and confident driving for a wide range of SUVs.
- Ends -
¹ Results based on interior noise tests conducted in 2011 by Goodyear Innovation Centre in Luxembourg on size 235/65R17 tyres under coast down conditions on smooth roads.
² Compared to the average performance of 3 leading competitors. Braking distance on wet road from 80km/h to 20km/h, braking distance on dry road from 100 km/h to 0km/h, measured by TÜV SÜD Automotive in Sep-Oct 2011; Tyre size: 215/65R16 98H; Vehicle: VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI; Location: Mireval (FR) & Garching (GE); Report nr: 76247158.
³ Tested against its predecessor by TÜV SÜD Automotive in Sep-Oct 2011; Tyre Size: 215/65R16 98H; Vehicle: VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI; Location: Mireval (FR) & Garching (GE); Report nr: 76247158.